COVID Level dependent we will conduct interviews online
Your health and the health of our people is extremely important to us, therefore if you are successful at securing an interview it will be hosted online. Up to date advice from the New Zealand Ministry of Health .
Tips for online interviews
- You can participate via a laptop / PC or mobile phone.
- If you are having technical issues try using a different browser
- Test your technology to ensure you’re set up for success at least 10 minutes before the call
- Please ensure you have access to a camera so we can see you
- Ensure your surroundings are quiet and minimise distractions
- You are eligible for the Summer Intern Program if you are in your penultimate year of study
- You are eligible for the Graduate Program if you are completing your studies or completed 24 months prior.
- You must have or be working towards professional Chartered Accounting (CA) qualification requirements to be eligible for Audit & Assurance and Private
- You must currently be based in New Zealand
I am an international student, am I eligible to apply?
Deloitte accepts applications from international students who hold a post study work visa for 3 years. To apply you are required to provide evidence that you are legally entitled to work in New Zealand for the duration of the internship. For more information, please visit the Immigration New Zealand website.
Start dates for Graduate and Intern program
- Our Summer Intern Program begins in November and at the end of your penultimate year of study. The Programme ends mid-February before you start your final year.
- Our Graduate Program begins in February following the completion of your final year of study, but students who graduate mid-year may start after final exams.
When can I apply?
We will be opening applications in March 2021. Engage with us on our social media channels above for the latest updates.
Do I need an accounting degree?
- We welcome and encourage applications from all university faculties.
- Specialised teams such as Audit & Assurance and Private do require all candidates to have the pre-requisite papers completed to start your Chartered Accounting (CAANZ) studies when you join us as a graduate.
- Read our job descriptions for more information on education preferences by team
How many students does Deloitte employ?
Deloitte recruits approximately 155 Graduates and 110 Summer interns nationally every year but this can fluctuate according to our business needs.
What we look for
We’re interested in students with degrees in every discipline. We are particularly interested if you’ve got diverse experiences and are passionate about being part of a business which thrives on innovation, opportunity, collaboration and inclusion. Tell us why you are applying to Deloitte, what about the team and our purpose or values that interests you. Perhaps you’ve met one of us and it made an impact on you, let us know!
We will review your whole application to help us make a decision and take into account your CV, application answers, online assessments, video and face to face interactions with us. Academic achievement is only one element we consider, we are looking for well-rounded students, this could be previous work experience, extra-curricular or community involvement and leadership experience.
Key competencies assessed through our recruitment process include:
- Resilience and the ability to embrace change
- The ability to learn and apply new information quickly
- Willingness to collaborate within a team
- Organisational skills
- Ability to analyse problems
- Communication skills.
I am interested in two different teams, can I apply for both?
No – due to the high volume of applications we are only able to review your first application. When you apply you will be asked what your second choice team is, so if you’re interested in two areas, that’s the place to let us know.
Where can I meet Deloitte representatives?
Each year Deloitte attends a number of university career fairs and campus events. The majority of events take place between February and April, however we usually have a presence on campus throughout the year. Follow us on social for event details.
Where can I find out more about the Graduate and Summer Internship Programme?
Connect with us on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram @Deloitte_NZ to see what a day in the life of Deloitte looks like and ask any questions you have about our Graduate and Summer Internship Programme.
Can I still apply for the Graduate Program if I haven’t done a summer internship?
Of course! While a number of our summer interns are offered roles to come back as graduates after their final year of study, we still recruit a large number of graduates who have not completed an internship with us.
I am studying outside of NZ/Australia and would like to complete an internship during my summer break.
Our Summer Internships are open to all students who have the right to work in New Zealand. However, due to the timing of our Summer Internship which commences November – February, it best suits students studying in New Zealand and Australia.
The Recruitment Process Recruitment process infographic 2021
How long does the selection process take?
Due to the volume of application we receive, we cannot provide a specific timeline for this. Rest assured, we always aim to process your application as soon as we can. Some of our Business Units hire as they go, whereas others will have set interview days once our applications close.
What kind of support is there for me?
You will be paired with a buddy and a Counselling Manager to help with a smooth transition into Deloitte life. Your buddy will keep in touch with you for catch ups during your final year of study before you start with us to keep you up to date with everything and answer any questions you may have. You can also expect invites to team events throughout the year. Graduates take part in our Graduate Development Programme which runs during your first week of induction and equips you with skills and knowledge needed for life at Deloitte. We provide the right kinds of tools and training through mentoring and peer support to ensure you achieve your career goals and success.
Do you do offer rotations across service lines?
No – the foundation of our business is built on being experts in our field, which starts from day one you start as a Graduate, however, we do collaborate on various projects across our different disciplines to give you a wide exposure.
What locations are the graduate and summer intern jobs in?
Deloitte is based around the country with offices in Auckland, Hamilton, Rotorua, Wellington, Christchurch, Queenstown, and Dunedin. Not all of our offices offer the same opportunities so read more about our locations and make sure the job you want is available in your preferred city
What opportunity is right for me?
To find your fit at Deloitte we have some helpful tools;
- Find your fit with Traitify
- Job Descriptions
- Career Pathways – see what people have studied and their journey
If you need more support come and visit us on campus or connect with us on Instagram or Facebook.
What is Deloitte’s culture like?
At Deloitte we’re motivated by a purpose that transcends profits: to make an impact that matters in our communities. A vibrant and stimulating workplace culture is key to achieving this. Our diversity and inclusion commitment aims to ensure our people feel valued and it is underpinned by our belief in the importance of wellbeing. These foundations inspire us to take action to improve lives, and drive reform towards a more prosperous and sustainable society. WorldClass is our global initiative to address inequality and help empower 50 million people by 2030. Read more about how we are activating WorldClass.
Remuneration and benefits
- Flexible working arrangements
- Charity volunteer leave – every year, you can receive two days paid volunteer leave
- Option to purchase additional leave
- Professional development and qualification support
- Secondments – you may have the chance to work in our other offices around New Zealand, or at a Deloitte firm overseas
- Discounted health insurance
- Access to our social club, offering various sporting, cultural and family events
- Choose a wide variety of discounted services and products from a range of different companies e.g. Lunch options!
What kind of travel will I be expected to do?
As a professional services firm, we can often find ourselves working directly with clients on-site across NZ. As a result, you may expect travelling as a natural part of your journey at Deloitte
What is Deloitte’s Position on sustainability?
A sustainable future is one in which we have created lasting success that is inclusive for all, and reflects the symbiotic relationships we have with our environment. At Deloitte, our purpose statement guides us to ‘make an impact that matters’ – giving our people the mandate to align our economic and financial success with improving outcomes for our families, communities, and nations.
Read our progress here, our Sustainability Report for 2020
Feedback on your application
As a commitment to every person who applies for a role with us, you will receive a written or verbal notification as to the success of your application. If you are yet to hear from us, we are still considering your application.
Online Test Assessment
Interns and graduate applicants will complete the same testing.
When will I receive my online test?
If you are eligible for the role you have applied for, you will receive an email with a link to the online test within 24–48 hours of applying.
I have not received testing
Has it been less than 48 hours? Please allow at least 48 hours to receive an email
You will only need to do the test once
Step 1: Immersive Online Assessment (once you have applied online)
Top Tip: When rank ordering your preferred responses to a situation, go with your gut instinct, don’t try to second guess what it is we might be looking for.
- The assessment isn’t timed, so you can work at your own pace, but you will need to complete it in one sitting.
- Usually it takes around 40 minutes.
- Get a taste of what it’s like to work here. While we get to know you better, you’ll be asked to look at possible work scenarios and answer honestly how you’d respond, ranking options from your most to least likely actions. Then answer multiple choice questions based on further information provided.
We’re assessing the key strengths you’ll need to succeed here, so it’s really important to answer as honestly as possible.
Following the assessment, you’ll receive a bespoke feedback report about your individual strengths and abilities. This is not the outcome of your assessment, it’s to provide you with valuable advice on how to develop your skills and make the most of your potential.
Once enough assessments have been completed, students who pass the online assessment will be invited to a video interview in the form of a job simulation.
Step 2: Job Simulation – Consulting only
Dig deeper in our challenging, yet enjoyable, online video assessment. Everything this assessment relates to what you can do and achieve at Deloitte, with questions in different formats: written, video, multiple choice and rank order
If you wish to complete the assessment on your mobile you can, you will be prompted to download the Hirevue app.
Treat this like a first face-to-face interview.
- Choose clothes you’d wear to work
- Take time to prepare
- Complete the practice questions at the start of the assessment, they’ll help you get used to the technology.
You’ll receive an email with your outcome, including feedback, within 3 weeks.
This is where your application process ends. We’ll let you know as soon as possible on the outcome of your assessment.
If you are successful, you will be invited to a face to face interview on-site with our team.
We will be holding the first interviews towards the second weeks of April.